In 2001, a group of Brazilian health professionals worked together and successfully established APUA-Brazil, headquartered in Brasilia. APUA International nominated Dr. Helio Silva Sader and Dr. Antonio Carlos Pignatari, both renowned Brazilian scientists and physicians, to initially lead the chapter.
MISSION of APUA-BRAZIL
The mission of APUA-Brazil is to promote the appropriate use of antibiotics and set forth the control of antimicrobial resistance on a world level through research and education activities.
- To alert the public of problems stemming from antimicrobial resistance and the related risks of the improper use of antibiotics.
- To promote the appropriate use of antibiotics by professionals in the area of human health.
- To promote the prudent use of antibiotics in veterinary medicine.
- To report information about bacterial susceptibility in relationship to the antibiotics.
- To promote and stimulate research and educational projects in this area.
PROGRAMMED ACTIVITIES IN BRAZIL
- To support local research on the development of antimicrobial resistance.
- To promote exchange of information and experiences at both national and international levels, in order to reduce antimicrobial resistance.
- To organize meetings, seminars and conferences at a national level about topics related to antibiotics and bacterial resistance.
- To develop programs in order to stimulate the prudent use of antibiotics in human and veterinary medicine, and reducing its resistance.
- To gather information and documentation about the prudent use of antibiotics and making them available to professionals, organizations, and the general public.
- To provide assistance to the Brazilian Government in formulating politics, rules, and regulations related to the prudent use of antibiotics and to monitor antimicrobial resistance.
- To promote training and other educational activities targeting toward providing continuous information and educational updating on the prudent use of antibiotics.
- To elaborate educational material on the prudent use of antibiotics and bacterial resistance and to distribute them throughout the country through the APUA newspapers.
- To distribute available regional information based on local antimicrobial susceptibility profile.
- To communicate through the media, news related to the use of antibiotics.
- To participate in programs which prohibit the commercialization of antibiotics without a medical prescription.
Dr. Julival Ribeiro, APUA-Brazil Chapter Leader
Group of Directors
Dra. Adília J Segura -DF
Dra. Ana C Gales -SP
Dra. Flávia Rossi-SP
Dra. Áurea Paste - BA
Dra. Celeste Aída Nogueira Silveira - DF
Dra. Denise Marangoni - RJ
Dr. Emerson Valadares - DF
Dr. Helio Silva Sader - SP
Dr. Luis Fernando Aranha Camargo - SP
Dr. Mauro Salles - SP
Dra. Marisa Santos -RJ
Dra. Simone Nouer- RJ
Dr. Flavio Teles -PR
Dr. Valter Rótolo da Costa Araújo - SC
Dr.Ricardo D. Guzmán -DF