Status of Resistance
The most urgent antibiotic resistance problems identified by APUA-India chapter members are:
- Lack of access to appropriate antimicrobial therapy
- Lack of regulation in agricultural use
- Lack of surveillance of antibiotic use and resistance
- Lack of updated antibiotic use and treatment guidelines
- Lack of continuing medical education on antibiotic use for prescribers
- Lack of microbiological lab capacity/lab training/ diagnostic tools
- DSPRUD, WHO-SEARO
APUA India was established in 1996. The core leadership, drawn from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), includes key national leaders. Professor KB Sharma serves as chapter leader and president. Chapter member, Professor Jawahar S Bapna, was awarded a grant from the APUA small grants program to investigate sensitivity patterns and cost effectiveness of newer antibiotics. In 2002, the chapter met and held new elections at the Indian Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (ISAC) Conference at Delhi from March 9-10, 2002. This meeting was sponsored in part by a grant from APUA.
Chapter Objectives and Priorities
- National meetings
- Training on research of antimicrobial resistance
- Organizing sessions in courses at the IIHMR National conference
- Collaborating with ISPOR and Clinical Research Society
- Prescriber Information
- Consumer and patient education
On April 9th, 2002, APUA India, the S.M.S. Medical College of Jaipur and the Professor Prem Chand Dandiya Endowment Trust hosted a ceremony to award Dr. S.K. Sharma the Dr. R.M. Kasliwal Best Annual Publication Prize in Medicine and 10th Oration of Prof. P.C. Dandiya Endowment Trust for The Changing Face of Tuberculosis. Dr. S.K. Sharma is currently a Professor of Medicine at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi.
From February 27 to March 10, 2011 WHO, APUA, RSPRUD, and ISPOR offered a 12 day course, "International Training Course on Promoting Rational Use of Drugs in the Community" at the Institute of Health Management Research, Jaipur. Please click here for details.
Chapter Leader: Professor Kulbhushan Sharma, Coordinator, Advisor, DSPRUD, Delhi
Professor Jawahar Bapna, Co-coordinator, Director, Jaipur College of Pharmacy, Sitapura, Jaipur
Professor Prem C. Dandiya